The title of this post is a little misleading. I basically wanted to test Magnolia Bakery’s famous Vanilla Cupcake recipe, and after I put them together, realized I had some extra strawberries around. Hence, the cupcake:
Magnolia Bakery’s Vanilla Cupcakes, recipe can also be found here.
Makes about 2 dozen cupcakes (depending on the size of your cupcake papers and muffin tins)
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Vanilla Buttercream (2 sticks butter, 2-3 Tblsp whipping cream, 2+ cups powdered sugar, a dash of vanilla)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- In a small bowl, combine the flours. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not overbeat. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended. Carefully spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about three-quarters full. Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes in the tins for 15 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
I… normally used unsalted butter, but for some reason I had salted around (a nice donation per my friend Megan). So, I used that in the frosting. I was rather upset because I could definitely taste the saltiness! However, I found out that people responded rather positively to it! Crazy, I guess it really is all about the sweet/salty balance.
Anyways, I loved the texture of this cake- very moist and tender. However, not a fan of the flatness. I am on the hunt for a cupcake that actually domes so one doesn’t have to improvise with tons of frosting (though I know people love their frosting). Anyways, I could’ve definitely made more than 24 with this recipe, as well.
Pure vanilla goodness:
Fresh strawberries- it’s coming into that season!
Staged on a lovely new cake plate that I procured at Homegoods. Love the bargains, love this plate 🙂 Reminds me of my mum (Shout-out to all Mom’s on Mum’s Day 2010!) she loves the red and white polka dot pattern. 🙂